Sunday, December 7, 2014

Project D.E.A.D.

~Introduction~

          I slammed urgently through the ornate, wooden doors, using all my might to do my usual business without being noticed by the paparazzi waiting for me outside my workplace, but to no avail. The camera shutters clicked rapidly, the bright, silver lights annoyingly flashing in my eyes, blinding me and leaving a temporary footprint on my vision. I was struggling to break free from the crowd that had concealed me entirely, pushing away the microphones they had shoved forcefully in my face.

           I had noticed how unbelievably calm and content I was acting, even in spite of the Hellish task that lay ahead for me. I felt like I was about to play God and be rewarded for it, and that’s not a fun thought to have, especially when you’re about to make the biggest scientific breakthrough in history.

         Our task was simple: We were going to implant a vitreo-neuron enabler, that allowed us to view everything a person sees through a computer monitor, into the heads of three young adults. It took eighty-three years to perfect this device since the idea was recommended by Stephen Hawking in 2022, and after several prototypes were used on animals, I was going to be one of the first scientists to use it on a human being.

         And what I was going to use it for… It turned my stomach inside out, like someone had given me a huge blow. The nervousness stirred inside me. I felt depressed. I felt sick. I felt like someone had just discovered a huge secret about me that I’d intended to keep for years, and the rumor was spreading like wildfire. I could NOT do what I was assigned to do.

        We were going to see what happens when people die.

~Part One~

        I creaked open the door slightly, peering over to the side, where the audience sat, before abruptly stepping in and walking to my seat. The medical theatre was exponentially large, dark and brooding, as I had thought it would be. A single hoverlight lit up the room over the podium where the person who started Project D.E.A.D, Mr. Conoway, would be presenting and answering questions at the end of the experiment once the results were given.

       I was very late, but that wasn’t what was on my mind. The theatre was more full than I’ve seen it ever before. The seats were all dotted with scientists, medical doctors, and news reporters from around the entire Earth, all converging on one small town in Great Britain. At first glance, I was very happy with the amount of people present and accounted for, until my heart sank to the lowest pit of despair it had ever reached, when I noticed the “special guests” I was frequently warned about: The Ethics Committee. What we were about to do was apparently deemed so unethical that they had unfortunately taken it upon themselves to attend this scientific study. This only added to the sickening, dreadful, impermissible feeling that had started just moments prior.

         Mr. Conoway was an old man of age 67, and was going gray at an alarming rate. He was very tall and skinny, yet he was always hunched over, probably due to him grabbing onto his cane that he seldom used for anything other than fashion. He was usually very nimble, happy, charming, and quick on his feet, yet today, something seemed a bit… Off… About him. He was exasperated, as if he had just run a mile-long race, and his tight brown suit was somewhat wrinkled. He was walking slower than usual, and he seemed rather irritated with something or rather. He had a look of desperation for help in his eyes, a sad, depressing look that I can’t shake off, even today. What he was sad about, I can only guess.

          He feebly, clumsily stepped up to the podium, clearing his throat in preparation for the speech that would be told to a million generations to come, “Greetings, my fellow scientists, doctorates, and variations thereupon. As you are all well aware of, we at Project Deceased Experimentation and Documentation, ironically abbreviated D.E.A.D, have gathered in this room to witness what we as humanity have mystified in awe over for millions of years. We will witness the truth as to what really happens when the mind is put to its final rest.

          “Theories over the millions upon millions of years in which humanity has existed have sprouted up on infinitely numerous occasions. Let it be known that it has been estimated that there are more theories about the afterlife than the amount of people living on the world today. Do we become ghosts, forced to roam the world we once knew as home forever and ever? Do we reincarnate into new bodies throughout time, with similar, or perhaps identical, souls and personalities? Do we ascend to Heaven, rewarded by the presence of God, or burn in the murderous pits of Hell for all eternity? Or are we granted with an empty, white void of blank nothingness, unable to think or perceive of anything ever again?

         “Whatever happens during the visionary test, I promise that it will thoroughly answer the age-old inquiry, with no dispute or denial. Thank you for joining us today, and please wait patiently as I assemble the materials for my life’s work. In the meantime, please watch and encourage the slide show ‘Concept to Reality’, telling the origin, inspiration, and story behind Project D.E.A.D, voiced over and put together by our very own Patrick Samuels of the LGM Department, Division 34.” Mr. Conoway stepped down from the precarious podium, almost tripping over his own two feet while doing so.

          The audience applauded powerfully and noisily, roaring and whistling for Conoway’s words of wisdom and true dedication. Behind the curtain, the leader of the experiment lurched a finger at both Patrick and I, as we made our way to the black curtains, and behind the massive stage.

           “Well done, sir! That was great, absolutely spectacular!” Patrick congratulated Mr. Conoway. But the man didn’t say a word. It’s not at all like him to ignore his star pupil, not at ALL. What was up with him today? He walked, tired and confused, towards a crate, sitting on top of it to retain his balance. He took out a handkerchief, from his coat pocket, and wiped the glistening pool of sweat off his brow, quietly sobbing to himself. That’s when it finally clicked: Something was wrong, more terrible than I could’ve ever imagined.

~Part Two~

           After the last slide had finished being projected over the silky, black curtain, we had managed to calm down Mr. Conoway enough to get him back onstage. We got nothing out of him as to why he was acting hysterical, and even as I type this, I get chills brushing against my spine thinking about who, or what, could have made him break down into a such a fetal state. The whole project seemed to be riddled with bad luck. First, Stephen Hawking died shortly after imagining the original idea. Then, several prototypes of the experiment imploded, killing all scientists in reach of the test subjects. And now the person who finally got it working, who reimagined a rather old idea that people never thought possible, becomes unusually depressed, right when the experiment is put into effect?

           Regardless, the experiment I’d been working on for ten years was finally going to begin, and better still, in front of the largest scientific committee I’ve ever seen, and that was enough to put a large, ecstatic grin on my now darkened face. The three young subjects, who volunteered for the experiment due to health issues beyond their control, stood, fixed on either side of the podium. I still feel terrible for allowing them to participate in this strange and fatal operation. Even if it was their own decision, I felt sickened by the thought of three children in their twenties getting murdered for some brute science cadaver. The fearfulness and terror that showed in their eyes could have driven me to tears, had Mr. Conoway’s second utterance not have begun .

         “Hello, all. I hope you enjoyed the slideshow as much as Patrick did making it,” Several nervous chuckles echoed off the walls of the circular theatre. The seemed just about as distraught and terrified as the ones who were about to get murdered on stage. As the dry laughter died down, Mr. Conoway continued on,” As you can plainly examine, beside me are three young adults on either side of the dais.

           “The woman on the right is a Muslim, the man on the left is a Christian, and the second woman east of the man is an Atheist. As you have probably inferred, the difference in religious preference is to make sure that the outcome is the exact same for all beliefs. The subjects in question will be given an electrical shock that will theoretically, and hopefully, be wholly painless, but will be proven deadly when reaching the cerebral cortex. We will begin once they have donned on their headgear and lie on the silver stretcher provided.”

          All three subjects slowly and frightfully put on the collinderlike helmets, which were laced with several different branches of wire and machinery, leading to the 67-foot contraption hidden under a tarp that we had been diligently working on for years. The blank stare of terror and disbelief made a small amount of vomit creep up my throat. We were going to take the lives of three pedestrians so that we may act like Gods. I was condoning a murder, and if there was a Hell, I was sure that I would be the one to occupy it.

          Mr. Conoway limped tiredly toward the pumping, impaling hidden machine, and flicked the switch labeled “ON” overb the exterior of the tarp. It felt as though a frog was going to crawl out of my throat, and hop away frantically. My mind was a hazy gray mixture of disgust and dread as I heard the words emerge from Mr. Conoway’s quivering lips: “Patrick, my good man, please project the image onto the curtain.” He said it with such confidence and meaning that I couldn’t help but trust him, mindless to the theoretical hypnosis he had put me under.

         The hoverlight dimmed, giving off a creeping grayish tint, as the room was ecstatically brightened with blue, dancing sparks, branching, swirling, crackling with small bursts of electrical currents flying in the air, giving a wonderful sight for the audience to observe. The room was entrenched once again in a flurry of subtle brightness, as the perspective of the three patients zapped onto the black drapes with finesse. The show was about to begin.

~Part Three~

          The professor primed the machine, circling around the levers and buttons, and a slow, electrical buzz rang in our ears. That can’t be right, I thought to myself. The machine is supposed to be silent, save for the light sparks, and the occasional clang of pipes and wires. It shouldn’t buzz at all. Just then, with a sudden jolt of mind-shattering electricity zapping across the wires, I flew myself back, gasping in shock. Sparks were exploding, crashing, zapping, spreading out in every direction possible, reaching all the way up to the 129-foot ceiling of the humungous auditorium. I fell out of my chair, struggling to get back up, as my heart was about to emerge from my chest.

        The current was wisping around the room, circling the walls, lining every inch of the floor with blue, radioactive elegance. The current zipped past my feet, swirling on the hard ground towards a middle-aged man in a doctor’s cloak. The sudden boom of angry sparks caught up to the unfortunate soul, climbing his thin posture and wrapping itself around his head. He disturbingly wailed as his face was scorched to a near unwatchable state. He had fallen to the floor, as the gleaming killer creeped back onto the ground, searching for the next victim of its abhorrence. He was stone dead. And Mr.
Conoway let out a maniacal, raspy, insane laugh.

        I got back up on my wobbly feet, as the oxygen was drained from every corner of the room, only to blow back into us forcefully, as if the room had developed a respiratory system. People were frantically running about, dancing around the glowing slayers that were now targeting them, screaming violently, tripping over one another as they shoved at each other to move towards the door. I sprinted towards the metal exit, as the discord continued on behind my back. But the outbreak of brute insanity was only fueled when I had found that the door was locked. Wind, electrical static, and barbaric shrieks were the only things I could hear, as papers and notes blew about, scattering across the room randomly. I frantically spun around, and I saw it… everyone in the midst of the strange, deadly debacle missed the worst part, the most hideous, heinous sight that came out of this failed experiment from the depths of Hell.

        Being projected onto the backstage wall, where the curtain used to hang, but since then fell lightly onto a nearby stage prop, were the perspectives of the three victims that had caused this mess. But each perspective didn’t show what they were observing at the time, no. What was being displayed, clear as day, yet no one turning a blind eye at it, was a message, spoken throughout the ages, a message that creeped into my soul, and left a regrettably permanent impression. The message disgusted me, and wrenched my stomach with heavy force, starving me of all things good and righteous. The twisted message...

            “THOU SHALT NOT MAKE UNTO THEE ANY GRAVEN IMAGE.”

       I understood now, why this lawlessness had taken effect. Why every attempt at building the machine to peek into the afterlife had gone faulty. And right then it had blatantly come to mind, while eyeing that single, deep heeding: This message had made its way into my timeline on countless occasions, no effort given to hide it from my unsuspecting eyes. It was engraven on my doormat, written on an envelope in my mailbox, chipped and carved into an ancient stone tablet I had seen on my sabbatical to Egypt. This message was meant for me, and me alone.

          And almost instantaneously, after my horrifying realization, the text flickered away, in the manor of a dying luminescent light bulb, and out of the shadows of my mind, I bore witness to a face manifesting on the wall, a terrible, deformed, ungodly figure, hunched over into a slouched, depressing position. It was enrobed in a ripped, bloodstained hooded coat. It shined brightly through its gas masked visor, and the menacingly slithered into my soul, surveying my purposeless essence with its clouded, lightless glass voids. It had entrailed inside me, merging my small, pathetic mind with its divine glory. I could understand everything, all that once was, all that will be. While it was linking me into its collection of death, I as well could observe its intentions, and its lengthy, disturbing timeline. And thereupon, I had the answer. The answer I was looking for all my life. The answer I had dreamed of finding.

      The answer to life after death. We must embrace it.

      When you pass on, it wraps its arms around you. It takes you in. And you are a part of it. The stiffs, the ones on the other side. The ones who kill, the ones who hate, the ones who steal. They are clasped in its grace, screaming, writhing, descending, all their souls sucked into a single enigmatic, gas masked demon, forced to control its every movement…

        The figure in front of me, embracing my aura, was not a figure at all. It was more than a location, more than an entity, more than an embodiment...

        It was Hell.

        It nasally took in slow, meticulous breathes through a disc-like filter infuzed onto its pail, leathery face. I stared into it, and it stared back into me. And then I saw, that its deep, shaking breathes were causing the air to move as if it were breathing. It was the source of everything that had happened that worrisome day. And It shined with delight, pulling out a small, silver dagger from it’s coat pocket. It was pleased. It was going to kill me.

       And then it released me. My throat was dry, with a stabbing, sharp pain sliding down my trachea. I vomited a vile black tar-like substance onto the ground, and collapsed heavily onto the earth, my arms weak, knowing I was without hope.

        But the air stopped blowing, and the figure disappeared from the screen, vanishing into the night.

       Hell was gone. And I smiled.

       The hoverlight flickered abruptly, and I was encircled in the comfort of brightness and warmth I felt I had forgotten so long ago. The locked doors clicked satisfyingly, and a wave of mentally scarred scientific officials spilled out into the vacant hallway. Some hadn’t left their seats, still praying to God in their tireless hopes of forgiveness. And after what had just occurred to me, all my faith in a good and just God had vanished completely.

       I still lay on the ground, unable to get up. The information I had previously explained about what I had learned was all I could retain. There was a tremendous amount of smarts I had been given, but the rest of the knowledge had left. I was free. I watched each and every scientist’s actions with my head tilted east and my head aching as it lay right where it had smacked onto. My heart was beating with a force I had not yet discovered, and the veins pumping through my arms were flowing not with blood, but with what seems like pure adrenaline. I was freezing cold, fixed in a twisted lying stature. I was about to drift off into a coma, when my eyelids shot up into the ceiling. I couldn’t be seeing this. This isn’t real. This isn’t god damn real. This is a dream. I couldn’t believe it. I watched, with fixed eyes onto the stage, as the three young adults rise up from their seats, looking dumbfounded and confused as to where they were. The weren’t dead.

       And they sauntered out, hands in pockets, as I drifted into the falling oblivion...

~Epilogue~

         “Wake up, Jaden.”

        I slightly opened my weak, wavering spectors. My brain felt as if it was mashed into a dripping pulp, and a piercing headache shot through my body. I lie on a cold, metal medical stretcher, as I was carried through the long, winding corridors, out the sliding doors, and to the familiar exterior of Lost Prophet Hospital, thoroughly packed to the brim with police cars, ambulances, firetrucks, and more, radios chattering on about the events I had just awoken from. The chaotic whizzing blair of noises, beeps, and sirens was almost too much to handle because of my splitting, painful headache, but after a few minutes of doctors saying repeatedly that it was a “damn shame”, I was finally ascended into a white medical van.

      And coming from behind the doctors was a man, sprinting ecstatically towards me. And the figure spoke in a voice that I dreaded to hear again, with the simple little phrase... “Hello there. My name is Mr. Conoway. This young man was my star student, and I would much rather ride to the emergency room with him, to keep him company through this awful experience.”

    And they let him in.

   “Alright, Ms. Jaden. We’re going to take you home now. I’m closing the doors. Mr. Conoway will keep you company while we drive.” The young, blonde, agile nurse in the long medical gown reassured me.

      The doors creaked shut, and alI of a sudden, I was alonewith Mr. Conoway. The night was a dark, engulfing nothingness, only illuminated by an unsteadily flickering hoverlight. I was still paralyzed, yet my head managed to turn towards the bulletproof, plexiglass window, to see the commotion ensue from the other side.

    And right in front of me, plain as day, I spectated something, the worst thing. A sight that haunts me, rips me into pieces, kills me, exhausts me of oxygen, a despicable, disgusting sight, worse than Hell itself.

     On the ground, twisted into an ungodly screaming position, was the figure sitting in the small blue chair next tome: Mr. Conoway’s body, lying face first in a pool of his own blood. Dead. Mutilated. Smiling.

      I snapped my neck towards the thing sitting in the van before me, still retaining the shape of Mr. Conoway. But for a split second, a small fraction of a fraction of a moment, I could make out several distinct features.

       A gas mask, a hoodie, a knife, everything bloodstained.

     “Looks like we’re going to have some fun tonight, aren’t we?!” Hell said, hoarsely cackling in a raspy, coughing chuckle. “Now, what shall we do to you tonight? Hmmm… Oh, I know!”

        Hell pulled out the same sharp knife I had seen on the screen
        andVGhlIERldmlsIFdlYXJzIGEgR2FzIE1hc2s=
EMBRACE THE ARCHANGEL.

No comments:

Post a Comment