Monday, February 10, 2014

Hello, I've Been Expecting You

I know you. But you don't know me. I've been watching you, you see. But don't be alarmed. I don't want to hurt you.

What's that? You're afraid of me? Well, don't be, silly. I know my appearance can be a bit... frightening, to say the least. Please, don't run away! It's been so long since I've seen anyone in person...

Please, sit down. I won't hurt you, I promise. I've been waiting so long, for someone to come and hear my story.

You will stay and hear my story, right? Will you at least do me that favor? Yes, thank you! I didn't always look like this, you know. I was once a beautiful human girl... But then... Then I went into the forest. And he took me.

You know him, don't you? That's why you came here, isn't it? Well, don't worry. He's never found me here. But he can sense humans easier. You don't have much time. But don't let that discourage you. Please, hear me out. I never get to talk to anyone, you're the first person I've met in so long...

When I first encountered him, I wasn't scared.  He hadn't noticed me, you see. He had his back turned when I spotted him. If I had been smarter, I would have run away right then.

But I was a foolish child, you see. I ran straight up to him and tugged on his suit. Then he looked down at me... And I saw his face. Or, rather... His lack of one. It was only then that the fear overtook me, but by that time it was too late. He grabbed ahold of my hand and took me away.

You know the stories, don't you? About how the children were found dead, their organs hanging in plastic bags from the tree branches. How he rips you apart with his razor-sharp tendrils and feasts on your flesh with his gaping sharp-toothed mouth. Well...

I wish that's what he had done to me. Sadly, as you can see, that is not the case. Instead, he changed me. Shifted me, bent me, broke me. Altered me. He gave me powers... But what if I don't want to use them? The things I see... I'd say they haunt my dreams, if I had any. I can not even leave this cave, for fear that he will find me. He gave me a new form... but as you can see, it is hideous. I'm a monster.

But even monsters need to eat. Do you know what it's like, living in a cave, forever fearful of leaving? A family of foxes lived here once. I felt bad for killing them, at first. But eventually, the hunger got to me. I could not stand it any longer. The meat was tough and bland, but it was food, and it sustained me, at least for a while.

Animals rarely ever come here anymore, they have learned to stay away from the cave from which no others come out. Sometimes, a particularly brave, or stupid, animal will come in out of curiosity to sate my hunger. Humans come through here even less, as I've told you. I try to help them out, try to help them escape from him, but often they don't, and even more often...

There's something else I want to tell you. I need to tell you about the visions. Do you see my eyes? Not just the ones on my face, the ones all around me, all around you. Through these eyes, I can see things, things most others cannot. It's how I've been observing you, how I knew you were coming. I can also see your future, you know. You do not last long. In fact, you could say your days are numbered. A very short number, too. The countdown is almost over...

But don't worry. Everything happens for a reason. You will be dying for a very good cause. You will be helping me, you see. You will help me hide from him. You will keep me alive just a little bit longer.

Now, now, don't run. You won't get very far. He is just outside the cave, you see. If you venture out, he will see you, and you will die either way. I have seen what happens, you see. I know how it turns out. It is up to you to make the choice.

I did promise I wouldn't hurt you, and I won't. It will be quick and painless, while he will make it very slow and excruciating. In fact, he may even make you into something like me...

So you have chosen? A very wise choice indeed. Maybe someday, I'll be able to make it out of this cave. Maybe someday, someone will find some sort of escape from him. But I haven't seen it, so I do not have much hope.

I really am sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment